December 10, 2009 – Goodman Company reannounces recall of air conditioner/heat pump units due to fire hazard.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the Goodman Company, announced a voluntary recall of their Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner/Heat Pump (PTACs) Units. About 30,000 units were previously recalled in August 2008 and are being re-recalled.
* Manufacturer: Goodman Company, LP, of Houston, Texas
* Hazard: The power cords on the PTACs can overheat, posing a burn or fire hazard.
* Incidents/Injuries: Goodman has received eleven reports of smoke or fire associated with the PTAC’s power cords. No injuries have been reported.
* Description: The recall includes 5.0 kW Amana-brand, Comfort-Aire-brand and Century-brand Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner units with model numbers PTxxx3x50xx (Amana) and EKTxxx-150x (Comfort-Aire and Century) and serial numbers 0702112056 through 0804237539. The model and serial numbers are located on the control board plate found under the PTAC unit’s front cover.
* Sold at: Goodman and heating and cooling equipment dealers nationwide from February 2007 through June 2008 for between $700 and $1,000.